Calvary Lutheran Church Ministry Plan
Background Per the Bylaws Calvary Lutheran Church a ministry plan shall be outlined by the Policy Board and the Board of Elders and presented to the congregation at the annual meeting for ratification.
Mission Our Lord Jesus says “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20) This is the mission of Calvary Lutheran Church as we serve God and love our neighbor.
Purpose The purpose of this ministry plan is to articulate the manner in which this congregation will carry out its Purpose as stated in Article II of the Constitution, outlining areas of focus and identifying resources necessary for the success of these areas. The purpose of this congregation shall be to serve God and love our neighbor by:
- Giving honor and glory to the Triune God
- Carrying out His will
- Proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all the world
- Nurturing the faith of its members
- Manifesting the unity of our faith in Jesus Christ as God and Savior
- Fostering Christian fellowship and love
- Extending a helping hand to human need
- And to achieve its objectives by the preaching of the Word of God, by the administration of the sacraments, and by the religious instruction of all its members according to the confessional standard of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Endstate The object of our purpose is to glorify God that others should come to know him and this shall be evidenced by forgiveness, healing, and new life in Christ.
Ministry One: Worship
- Worship is done in order to give honor and glory to the Triune God, proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all the world, and nurture the faith of its members by preaching of the Word of God, providing religious instruction, and through the administration of the sacraments.
- Details: 8am & 10:30am Sunday Divine Services, 6pm Wednesday service, baptism, communion, and special services and dinners for church holidays.
- Servants: Pastor, Elders, Worship Director, Altar Guild, Acolyte Guild, Ushers, Organist, Choir, Members of the Congregation.
- Resources: Worship as one of the primary ministries of the church should have its own budget line items.
- Vision: Continue to glorify God through the preaching of his Word and partaking of the Sacrament. Create our policy to serve, support, and protect our Worship Ministry.
- Goals: Increase percentage of active participation in worship. Develop the understanding, purpose, and history of the Divine Service in our members. Increase percentage of confirmed members attending weekly worship. Maintain strong commitment to worship while preparing to receive a new pastor.
Ministry Two: Education
- Education is done in order to better understand and carry out God’s will and nurture the faith of the members of Calvary Lutheran Church. Furthermore, education is selected as the focus ministry for this year at Calvary with the idea of increasing and expanding current education programs with an eye towards keeping this area as focus of effort raising up wise servants for service in God’s work.
- Details: 9:20am Sunday School, 9:30am Thursday Adult Bible Study, 1pm 1st & 3rd Thursday Home School Chapel, 9am 2nd Saturday Men’s Prayer Breakfast, Catechism Class, June Vacation Bible School, Lutheran Pre-school.
- Servants: Pastor, Elders, Education Director, Pre-School Staff, Catechism Families, Home-school Families, Members of the Congregation.
- Resources: Ideally the educational activities of the church should be self-sustaining, however, the church must contribute as necessary to individual educational programs in order to ensure their growth. The preschool, catechism class, and Sunday School must be included on church’s budgeted items.
- Vision: Continue to study God’s Word, expand the home school chapel to include classes and draw other home school families into worship and fellowship, lay the groundwork for the expansion of the preschool to include a half day Kindergarten class, this will require the new facilities be built in order to have the available space in the current facilities. Intentionally witness to the families of our preschool through invitation to church, financial incentives for involvement, and providing witness materials such as CPHs “Happy Times”.
- Goals: Increase participation in adult Bible study. Increase frequency of outreach to home school and preschool families. Expand home school chapel to include classes. Develop short and long term plans to expand preschool to half day kindergarten. Reestablish enough students for second preschool class. Develop a culture and commitment to life-long Christian education and personal growth and development in preparation to receive new pastor.
Ministry Three: Church Family Fellowship and Prayer
- Church Family Fellowship is done in order to manifest the unity of our faith in Jesus Christ as God and Savior and foster Christian fellowship and love building each other up in prayer.
- Details: 9am Wednesday Playgroup, 9am 1st Saturday Call to Prayer, 6:30pm 1st and 3rd Sunday Youth Group, 9am 2nd Saturday Men’s Prayer Breakfast, 10am 2nd Saturday Prayer Shawl, 11:30 3rd Tuesday ELF’s Lunch
- Servants: Pastor, Elders, Members of the Congregation
- Resources: These programs currently are maintained by the individual contributions of those members of the different programs. This has proven to be a cost effective and should continue to remain so.
- Vision: Continue to create opportunities for the members of the church to come together in order to pray and join in wholesome Christian fellowship. Look at the possibility of having monthly dinners with a prayer and hymn followed by dinner and recreation
- Goals: Increase participation in fellowship opportunities. Develop stronger bonds within the congregation. Call a new pastor and ensure smooth transition of his family into ours.
Ministry Four: Outreach
- Outreach is done in order to give honor and glory to the Triune God, Carry out His will, proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all the world, and extend a helping hand to human needs.
- Details: Outreach is a continuing and on-going process through visitation of those confined to home, long term care facilities, or the hospital providing communion to those who are members. Providing for those in need by working as volunteers at the soup kitchen, long term care facilities, and maintaining a human care ministry in order to minister to active and retired military, veterans, and their families through special events or meals as well as providing hospitality, to include meals to grieving family members and friends after funerals.
- Servants: Pastor, Elders, Human Care Director, the entire congregation.
- Resources: Human Care should be budgeted for annually, but the greatest resources in this ministry are the members of the congregation.
- Vision: Create opportunities to expand ministry, to include transportation for Lutherans in the armed forces on local bases and the unchurched in the community. Continue to refine successful activities of the Human Care Ministry.
- Goals: Increasing participation in outreach activities. Advertise and synchronize existing outreach programs, both in scheduling and goals.